Pages

Monday 1 September 2014

Matarawa Cats



Here is a copy of the poem we'll perform on Friday at assembly.  I love how the words sound together. Which is your favourite part of our poem?  

Do you know your part?

Matarawa Cats by Rhondda Greig

Matarawa is a plain
wide and green
There are trees
totara rimu oak and flax
and in between
live Matarawa cats

Matarawa cats
are fat and black
They slouch and crouch
and lick their backs

Matarawa cats
go out at night
They stalk
walk tall
and sometimes fight

Their eyes gleam green
and spark in the dark
as they lunge and plunge
and miaow
What narks

But sometimes
one eye peeps
Sees naughty children
being cheats

Matarawa cats have claws
curved
nerve sharp
which snatch and scratch
then finished with,
fold soft inside their paws

Matarawa cats hunt and eat
birds
rats
rabbits
A daily habit
of tasty meat

Matarawa cats are proud
After meals
they nip lick clean
their thick fur coats
seam by seam

Matarawa cats have friends
Children
who poke and stroke
tickle and tease
while the cats stretch lazily
across their knees

Matarawa cats are quiet
You never hear them walk
They glove their paws
and purr their talk
with silence softly taught

Matarawa cats are grand
Fur paw
purr pounce
a cat is every ounce
a wizard of the land

Matarawa cats
love to sleep
Deep
long hours
of secrets they keep

Matarawa cats are kings
For treasure
they don’t need rings and things
for from the sky comes gold
On summer nights
they lift their heads
with royal sighs
And the moon slips down
into their eyes

22 comments:

  1. Do not worry Miss Skipper me and Tauheed know our parts!- William

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew. I'm glad you two have your part down.

      Delete
    2. yeah I know right!??! All of the pressure! - william

      Delete
  2. I know my part-Sania

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know my part miss skipper from Sarah ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my part Miss Skipper
    -Calico

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know my part but I'm not sure about my partner. Nazheef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully your partner will know it for tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. I know my part like crazy made a song version too.-Humble Hamo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know my part -Riya

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know my part-Diya S

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cant remember my part soz - PHILLIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest you memorise both parts tonight.

      Delete
  10. and hello Miss Sipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Sipper ?? Who is that?

      Delete
    2. yeah who is that? wait, wait, wait is that shaun?- william

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.